Before you begin to prepare your income tax return, Use the tax checklist below to find the documents and forms you’ll need to get started. Dedicate a folder for your year’s tax Preparation. Make sure what applies to you, and have those forms available. Keep checking items off as you add them to your folder.
- Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse and all dependents.
- Copies of last year’s tax return for you and your spouse (helpful, but not required) Bank account number and routing number, if depositing your refund directly into your account
- Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers
- Childcare records (including the provider’s tax ID number) if applicable
- Income of other adults in your home
- Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)
- W-2 forms.
- 1099 forms.
- Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s
- Records of all expenses
- Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
- Office in home information, if applicable
- Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
- Records of income and expenses
- Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
Adjustments to your income
- Student loan interest paid
- Form 1098-T for tuition paid (or receipts/canceled checks for tuition paid for post-high school)
- For teachers: expenses paid for classroom supplies, etc.
- Records of IRA contributions made during the year Receipts for any qualifying energy-efficient home improvements (solar, windows, etc.)
- Records of Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions
- Self-employed health insurance payment records
Taxes you’ve paid
- State and local income taxes paid
- Real estate taxes paid
- Personal property taxes
- Vehicle license fees based on value of vehicle
- Estimated tax payments made during the year (self-employed)
- Prior-year refund applied to current year and/or any amount paid with an extension to file
- Foreign bank account information: location, name of bank, account number, peak value of account during the year
Call us (512) 710-1000 or Book your appointment at www.mathewscpainc.com/booking-calendar.